Your page description goes in here.
A Block for 98 families with 3 and 4 rooms each. There are two
B Blocks, 45 families in a block, having accommodation for 90
families with one or two rooms each for labourers. The whole of
the front window-frames facing the main road are glazed with Plate
Glass. Between the pathway and the Blocks is erected an iron pali-
sade and some evergreens have been planted within the enclosure.
There axe underground Laundries at the north end of the Blocks
with all necessary appliances. The B Blocks have three tiers of
balconies supported by iron columns communicating with the
dwellings on the upper storeys. The roofs are tiled by the Broom-
hall Tile Company. The Builders, are Messrs. Downs & Co.,
Southwark. Major-General 8cott, Secretary, office, 9, Victoria
Road, Westminster Abbey. It is intended to erect more Blocks on
the laad adjoining. Chairman, John Walter, Esq.,
The buildings are intended as models of the dwellings for Artizans
and Labourers, to replace the habitations condemned in various
parts of the Metropolis under the Act of 1875. They are built in
flats as nearly fire-proof as may be. Each tenement in the Artizans
dwellings and each block of four rooms for those of the labourers
are entirely separated from others by an open space, each tenement
has a constant supply of fresh water, the use of a wash-house and
a coal bunker, a dust shoot, and generally great care has been
taken to insure to the tenants all the advantages of the best known
sanitary appliances. Within the outer door which opens on to a
general staircase, are all the conveniences except the wash-houses
which are detatched from the building. These tenements contain in
most cases, three rooms, viz : kitchen, bed-room, and sitting-room.
The labourers blocks are so divided that they can be let singly, or
in twos, threes, or fours. The dwellings were formally opened on
Saturday Afternoon, June 23rd, 1877, by the Earl of Beaconsfield.
The ceremony was graced by a select company, among whom were
in addition to the Prime Minister, the Earl and Countess of Ross-
lyn, the Countess of Scarborough, the Earl and Countess Stanhope,
the Lord Chancellor and Lady Cairns, Lady E. Drummond, the
Marquis of Bristol, the Earl of Echester, the Earl of Verulam, the
Bishop of Winchester, the Right Hon. R. A. Cross, M.P., Mrs. and
Miss Walter, Mr. W. H. Smith, M.P., Mr. Roebuck, M.P., Mr.
Montague Oorrie, Mr. Algernon Turner, Major-General H. Y. D.
Scott, Manager of the Association, and numerous Members of Par-
liament. Her Majesty who takes a deep interest in this movement
for the improvement of the dwellings of her people, commanded
Earl Beaconsfield to express Her wish that Her name may be asso-
ciated with this institution and that in future these buildings will
be called the Victoria Dwellings for Artizans.